Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BBAW: Unexpected Treasures

It's Day 3 of Book Blogger Appreciation Week and our topic is Unexpected Treasures.

Book bloggers can be some of the most influential people around! Today we invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger. What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?

Unfortunately, I'm sick today and actually left work two hours early because of a sore throat, headache, and fatigue. So I'm afraid my response is going to be brief. There are quite a few books I've discovered through other bloggers but three in particular stand out. (Although - in a bit of a departure from today's prompt - they were well within my comfort zone and I needed no influencing to try them.) They were kindly sent to me by Richard and Frances after I expressed an interest. Big thanks guys!

Antwerp by Roberto Bolaño

This is only fitting, as I was actually introduced to Roberto Bolaño at the same time as Frances and Richard. We were all participants in a 2666 read-along that began in May 2009. This particular work was given to me by Frances as a surprise, along with . . .

The Rose Tattoo by Tennessee Williams

After the Bolaño read-along wrapped up, most of us reunited for a Non-Structured Book Group. Our selection for March 2010 was the Tennessee Williams play The Night of the Iguana. Some time later, Frances found that she had an extra ARC of the new edition of The Rose Tattoo.

Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

This one was from Richard. When he reviewed it on his blog I was fascinated by the back story of its author. I was extremely glad to receive this, as I love world lit and have been wanting to read more non-European writers.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well - I hope you feel better soon. I loved the one Thiong'o book that I read, and am looking forward to reading that one at some point as well!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! No sickness allowed!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails