Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

After last week's unholy snowfall I am pleased to say that not only have temperatures been in the 70s, but I've been able to make progress with my gardening! Yay spring! I haven't planted my vegetables yet but we have a little shade garden against the house that hadn't been taken care of since last summer. It was full of ginormous weeds. I ripped out the entire rock border and actually had to shovel some of those weeds out. Then I went to Lowes and got some new shade plants. I also got a ceramic mushroom made by a local potter for decoration.

Now that spring is here let's hope it stays here.

In reading news, I got my review up for The Rose Tattoo, followed by my post for Borges's "The Library of Babel." Nobody agreed with my interpretation of the Borges piece. In fact, my conclusions were the exact opposite of everyone else's - I thought he was being optimistic, they thought his Giant Cosmic Library metaphor was positively nightmarish. Maybe I really should reread that one.

I'm still in the middle of Tender Morsels. But then, for really no reason at all, I started Anne Rice's The Witching Hour, which I last read when I was sixteen. It's a 1,000+ page behemoth, although it does go by quickly. I got 100 pages read yesterday, which is a lot for me. I actually haven't read Anne Rice in general in what seems like forever and it feels like I've rediscovered some great treasure. She was my absolute favorite author when I was in high school but then we sort of drifted apart. It's nice to get reacquainted with old friends again. But the rest of my reading may be put on hold for a few days.

So I hope everyone had a great spring weekend and, as always, happy reading!

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I spent the weekend at a graduation, so I'm just now trying to get caught up here in Blog World. I happily finished a couple of great reads, though....never too busy to read!

Eileen said...

I went to a graduation a couple of weeks ago. I got a whole book done during the car ride down!

Related Posts with Thumbnails