Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Top Ten Favorite Cozy Reading Spots


I like coffee. Coffee coffee COFFEEEEE! And I like art, creativity, cool atmospheres, and a laid-back vibe. So instead of doing a regular Top 10 list this week, here are photos of my favorite coffeehouses. I could spend hours at any of these places, just reading and enjoying a latte.


This one is currently the closest to me. It's a decent place, nice comfy chairs and tasty deserts, but lacks that special ambiance a coffeehouse must have. Nicely decorated but kind of blah. But it does have a bar-style table right against the front window, which is great for people-watching. Outdoor sidewalk seating is a plus too.


Although I've since moved away, I try to come back here whenever I can. A combo artist studio/cafe located on the first floor of an old house, the proprietoress was one of those fun older women with a quirky sense of style. The side porch was my favorite place during the summer, followed by the front yard, which was full of fun little tables and chairs and statuettes and suchlike.


I did not get to go here very often because it was a bit of a drive. Located in the same area as the above too, so I'm not sure when I'll see it again. But it RULED at coffeehousedom. Funky-colored walls, blue tin ceilings, and an upper level with old battered couches and all sorts of art magazines and alternative weeklies. Had a really cool painting for sale that I wanted but it unfortunately it was $1500.


They're noted for their live performances, which I have yet to see (hopefully soon). A bit of hike from my place, but well worth it. A big, loft-like space in an old brick building in an up-and-coming neighborhood, I especially enjoy their '60s-'70s retro decorating style. Borders on ironic kitsch - like that brass sailing ship light fixture affixed to the brick wall that would look stupid anywhere else. And the collection of old TV sets! One sweet place. I was there for almost three hours a few Sundays ago with Vilnius Poker.


Hooray, my favorite! A short bus ride away, right in the heart of downtown! I came here all the time in college! Low-key indie vibe and stocked with great artwork. I actually have their vintage-y menu on my kitchen wall.

If you can afford it, please consider purchasing fair trade coffee. It will mean a lot to the growers, most of whom live in developing countries and make little money for their hard work.



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers. Everyone is welcome to join. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time . . . just post what you can!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I like the spin you put on this! I love finding cool coffee shops with a good vibe! I've yet to really find anything really awesome around me..we have mostly Starbucks! These all look great to read in!

Thanks for joining in with us!

Emily said...

Mmmm, cozy coffee shops. (Although I'm more of a tea drinker myself.) This is a great idea for a post!

The Phantom Paragrapher said...

Im a new follower
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com
Im more of a tea drinker or hot choc , though I love the look of the coffee shops, Nothing like it in NZ

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

If only I had all these choices. I suppose I could go to Stanton's and drink coffee with the huge group of old farmers and retired men who stop in there to pick up a bag of feed....

Thanks for sharing these lovely coffeeshops.

My post:
Www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

JoAnn said...

I love this!! Makes me want to head out to the coffee shop NOW...

Anonymous said...

Mmm, coffee shops. I love the tin ceiling in the shop third from the top. :) I want to run a coffee shop/brew pub someday - some conglomeration of my favorite things. Coffee during the day, beers at night in a casual, not bar-like setting, and a comfy place to read all the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails