Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

Happy Father's Day, everyone! I spent Friday afternoon and Saturday up north and just got back early this morning. I had no computer!

Anyway, I'm going to make this brief because I'd like to get some reading done before everyone gets back and the house gets noisy. I got Paul Hoffman's The Left Hand of God and Jesse Kellerman's The Genius from the library yesterday and have already finished the Kellerman one. I'm a huge fan of his mother's Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series but was lukewarm towards his father's Alex Delaware books. I'm happy to say that I was very pleased with The Genius. Will post about it tomorrow.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

And now for your weekly link round-up:

A Father's Day Monstrous Musings: Vampire Daddies and Wolf-y Father Figures

Mark Blankenship: True Blood Sucker Punch*

Oh Sookie*

Once Just a Site With Funny Cat Pictures, Now a Web Empire

Star Trek: Tik Tok

* Thanks, Jill!



Update: So I just go to check on my Amazon profile and, lo and behold, I find this utterly stupid comment under my Fledgling review:
A different world view and prospective you can't stomach it. The shortcoming isn't in the book, it in you.

I loved the book. Did you expect Ms. Butler to write from your limited world view? Why would a black woman do that.
Straw man/ad hominem at its finest!

2 comments:

Frances said...

Ad hominem reigns in the blogosphere some days. Some missed their classical education riff in the classroom. Perhaps if they had not, they would have a better grasp of "In matters of taste, let there be no dispute." Disregard, edgy girl!

Eileen said...

I actually wouldn't have minded the comment if she didn't bring up Butler's race. "Race card" and "OMG! NAZI!" are the two cheapest shots imaginable and guaranteed to kill any attempt at reasonable debate.

But most of her reviews are 1-2 sentences long so I suppose we can't expect much out of that quarter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails