Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Peirene Press






This Book and I Could Be Friends would like to announce the upcoming arrival of two books from Peirene Press. I am very pleased to have this opportunity to work with a brand-new independent publishing house and just thought I'd give you all a brief introduction.

Peirene Press was founded in 2008 by Meike Ziervogel, a German writer and journalist who has been living in London for the past two decades. (Read her blog here.) According to the website,
Peirene Press takes its name from a Greek nymph who turned into a water spring. The poets of Corinth discovered the Peirene source and, for centuries, they drank this water to receive inspiration.The idea of metamorphosis fits the art of translation beautifully. To turn a foreign book into an enjoyable English read involves careful attention to detail.
Although there are other small publishers dedicated to translated fiction (see sidebar), Peirene focuses exclusively on books of less than 200 pages. It's a really neat twist that makes perfect sense. Have a cozy night in? Instead of TV or a movie (unless True Blood is on!), why not nourish your mind with a short book? While plot is always important, Peirene also looks for language, structure, and rhythm to provide a well-rounded international reading experience.

Their first release, VĂ©ronique Olmi's Beside the Sea (translated from French by Adriana Hunter), debuted in February 2010 and will be followed by Maria Barbal's Stones in a Landslide (Catalan) in June and Friedrich Christian Delius's Portrait of the Mother as a Young Woman (German) in September. All three books can be ordered through Amazon. Love the stylish covers!

I have always felt that it is especially important to support translated fiction in today's increasingly interconnected world. I also think it's great to see women succeed in business and publishing and wish Meike Ziervogel the best of luck. I can't wait to receive the books and look forward to reviewing them!

A special thanks to Iris on Books for introducing me to this publisher.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I love finding new small presses...that first book they published looks wonderful! Thanks for the information and link :)

Eileen said...

You're most welcome!

Emily said...

Such an intriguing project! It's always like pulling teeth for me to convince myself to buy novellas, but their aesthetic is so appealing...enough, maybe, to help me out of my anti-novella rut. :-) Thanks, lady!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you found out about Peirene Press through me. They really deserve to be more widely known. I hope you enjoy the books!

Related Posts with Thumbnails