Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

Sorry for the slow week. The receptionist at the office where I work quit so now we all have to take turns answering the phones and picking up some of her secretarial duties. On the one hand, I don't have long stretches of time of boredom anymore; on the other, it's been really tiring and I haven't done much reading, writing, and blog-visiting these past few days. I did get a post out on Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North, which you read here (and be sure to check out Richard's review too).

Right now I'm in the middle of a Borgesian Czech novel by Michal Ajvaz called The Other City. I received it as part of my Christmas book haul, which, sadly, is now down to Luc Sante's Low Life: Lures and Snares of Old New York. It's been awhile since I've read a history book so I'm really looking forward to that one. In addition to Season of Migration to the North, here are the reviews I've written of my other Christmas books:

The Story of Zahra
Last Nights of Paris
Fledgling
(purchased with a B&N gift card)
Paris Peasant

Except for Fledgling, alas, I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed them all and would like to thank my mother for giving me her credit card and a reasonable spending limit! I have great parents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dontcha just hate it when work interferes with blogging? ;-)

I hope things settle down.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

How sad that your Christmas pile is almost depleted! I hope some other holidays during the year work out for you that way! :--)

JoAnn said...

Hope you hire a new receptionist soon, and it's back to blogging (or business) as usual!

Eileen said...

Thanks everyone. Alas, today was even worse. The phones . . . they don't stop. . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails