Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More Awesome Vampire Stuff

I just found this guest post on Womanist Musings, a non-book blog I like to read. (Blogmaster Renee is an even bigger vampire fan than I am and she's done some great posts on True Blood.) Natalie Wilson of Seduced by Twilight will be doing a biweekly column on vampires, werewolves, zombies and monsters of all types as "reservoirs for cultural critique." She argues that,
Just as freak shows, circuses, horror films, the gothic and the grotesque reveal a great deal about the cultural construction of bodies, of normative identities, of gender and sexuality, so do today’s monsters – the sparkly vampire, the clairvoyant waitress, the shrimp-like alien – reveal a great deal about patriarchy, socio-economics, and racism.
Judging from this opening post, this series should be a very fascinating read. I was trying to articulate similar ideas with my vampire essay from awhile back but Wilson clearly has a much better intellectual background than I do.

Check it out!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Ooh, I'm psyched for her column; thanks for the link!

Eileen said...

You're in luck! Here is her review of Daybreakers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails