Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

I'm going to have a lot going on for the next week or two.

Right now, I am in the middle of Titania Hardie's The Rose Labyrinth. It was an international bestseller (Titania was born in Australia, lives in Britain, and is married to an American) that was just released in the U.S. on September 1st. I received my copy from publicist Esther Bochner of Atria Books (a division of Simon & Schuster). In the past she's sent me Fan Wu's Beautiful as Yesterday and Sanjay Bahadur's The Sound of Water, both of which I enjoyed. I also got Cecilia Samartin's Vigil, which I wasn't really crazy about. But I can see other readers liking it (it really wasn't my style) and Ms. Samartin left a very kind comment on my not-so-positive review, which I really appreciated.

AND I have FINALLY won a book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program! (I've been a member since December '08!) Resistance: A Woman's Journal of Struggle and Defiance in Occupied France is a memoir by Agnes Humbert which was first published in 1946 and is only now just appearing in English. It is about Humbert's time in the French Resistance during World War II and her subsequent imprisonment in a Nazi labor camp (a factory for non-Jewish political prisoners and German criminals - not a concentration camp). I haven't been reading as much non-fiction as I'd like to, so this should be interesting.

Plus, I've got other books on my TBR list and my brother's books from that Gothic literature course he took last year. But first I gotta get The Rose Labyrinth done.

7 comments:

Frances said...

I also FINALLY won a book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers - Daphne. Was starting to get a complex about the whole process. Is the whole blogosphere worthy but me? :) Happy reading!

Eileen said...

I know! I've been in Early Reviewers since December 08 and I never won anything until now! And I would read other bloggers saying it was one their primary sources for free books!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Obviously, I am the only person on earth now who has never won anything from LibraryThing. Sad.

Eileen said...

I never thought I'd win anything either. Just keep entering!

Emily said...

I totally don't understand LibraryThing's algorithm for when people get books. It almost seems like I'm more likely to get a book right after I receive another one and fail to review it! Anyway, congrats on that memoir; it sounds fascinating.

I am also looking forward to any more vampire/zombie-related social analysis you feel like throwing our way. :-)

Gavin said...

Congratulation on the LibraryThing win. I just recieved my first win from Goodreads and learned I won another one.

Oops, more books to read and write about. Have a good week!

julie said...

That Resistance book sounds really interesting... I've absolutely never heard of it before and I'm looking forward to your review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails