Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

I wish I was in college again!

This is going to be another short post, unfortunately, and a badly-illustrated one too, since I am using someone else's computer and I don't want to be saving pictures to his hard drive. I have returned to my old college dorm for my friends' graduation. It's only been a year, but I feel like I never left. Everyone is so happy. I wish I could tell them all about how, following my graduation exactly one year ago today, I spent four months unemployed, another four months working part-time for minimum wage in a grocery store in a low-income area having to constantly explain no you can't get that on WIC anymore, and then, finally, getting a full-time position as a legal secretary three weeks ago. I hate this economy.

But I am very pleased to announce my acquisition of Follow Me, a novel by my old English professor Joanna Scott! Although it's not the type of book I usually read, it's been a big hit among my fellow book bloggers and I am very eager to begin it. Hopefully I can get Professor Scott to autograph it today, if she isn't too mobbed by graduates at the English reception. (I had her for Contemporary International Literature.)

I am currently three-quarters of the way through Michael McGerr's A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement, 1870-1920. After finishing that, I plan to move on immediately to Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler's The Crimes of Paris. Then I have a Hermann Hesse novella to breeze through, and then I'll get to the Scott book. So my reading for the next few weeks is pretty much set.

I'm not about to hog someone else's computer, so I'll sign off now.

2 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I do feel for you - it is terrible how long it is taking people to get jobs these days. Hopefully it won't last as long as the last recession. I shall have to look up the book by your professor - it sounds intriguing. Happy sunday salon.

Eileen said...

Scrap - I'm a few pages into Follow Me, and while the prose is definitely really good it kind of has an "Oprah's Bookclub" feel to it. But I have these two other books to focus on so I'll be putting it on hold for awhile. But a lot of other book bloggers seem to have loved it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails